10 Holiday Gift Ideas for Older Adults
Holidays can be stressful, and gift-giving can be an added stressor. Picking out a gift for that special older adult in your life doesn't have to be. Read on for our top gift ideas for older adults whether it's for this holiday season, a birthday, or just because.
"For it is in giving that we receive." -St Francis of Assisi
1. This Aura picture frame comes with an app that allows multiple family members to add pictures whenever they want. This frame cycles through all the photos that family members add in. The pictures show up bright and clear. Requires WIFI. Helps family members stay connected and sparks conversation.
2. Did you know that smartwatches are one of the top-selling gadgets among older adults? Not only are they a practical gift but they also provide safety by doubling as a health monitor and medical alert.
Smartwatches are also a great way to encourage staying active. This one on Amazon has great reviews and is listed on Forbes's best smartwatches for 2022.
3. The Amazon Echo is a hands-free, voice-activated device that listens to your voice commands and carries out your requests. It’s a useful tool that can help seniors manage doctor’s appointments, shopping lists, and entertainment such as music and books. Amazon Echo can also be compatible with some lights, coffee makers, and TVs.
4. These doorknob grips are the perfect little gift for that practical older adult in your life. They feature a ribbed texture that is comfortable on hands and fingers, especially if you suffer from joint pain and arthritis. We love that these come with glow in the dark inserts, making finding the door at night so much easier.
5. Meal kit subscriptions can not only cut down on preparation in the kitchen but are also a fun and creative gift. Click here for a list of the top ones, including information about each plan.
6. Magazine subscriptions can be fun and useful gifts. There is a magazine out there for almost any hobby or interest. I really LOVE that some magazines like Readers Digest come with large print options. This article has some great magazine options for older adults.
7. This wall-mount shampoo and soap dispenser makes your shower feel like a spa! These dispensers are easy to refill and keep your shower organized and spa-like. They are made of stainless steel and are easy to dispense one-handed.
8. Storyworth is a company that helps your loved one write their life story. It is an awesome way to preserve family memories and moments. After you sign up, they start sending your loved one weekly questions to answer or to write about. At the end of the year, all of the responses are combined into a keepsake book.
9. This multifunctional bottle and can opener is ergonomic and lightweight. Can be used to open water bottles, and cans, including canned foods, and ring pull tabs as well. I love that it's dishwasher safe, making cleaning it low maintenance.
10. Gift an exercise class. Many gyms and studios have discounted packages. A few suggestions: yoga, tai-chi, strengthening, or water aerobics. All these are gentle on muscles and joints while building strength and balance. Check out your local gym or physical therapy clinic for options and prices. Many physical therapy clinics offer small group classes or personal training.
Whether you're buying for someone practical, sentimental, or health-focused, there are many options out there. What really matters is that you put some thought into picking out that special gift for your loved one. More importantly, remember to also take care of yourself during the holiday season.
As the year is coming to an end, I want to take a moment to say how grateful I am for all of your support. I am grateful for all of the clients and families who make every day a joy and adventure. I am grateful for all of the other healthcare professionals (PT, ST, SN, counselors, and case managers). Private practice can be hard sometimes and having you all to collaborate with is a blessing! I am thankful for Michele (practice manager) and Hannah (biller extraordinaire) - you both are the best! I hope you all have a very happy holiday season and a new year filled with love.
Jenny - OTR/L, CAPS
Michele- Practice Manager